Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Change of plans

The last two weeks have had their share of ups and downs. My symptoms have been a bit erratic and the bleeding and contractions have picked up. Today we had our 26 week check up with the specialist. Right away during the ultrasound they noticed that my amniotic fluid levels were down. Normally it is between 5-24 cm. Two weeks ago my amniotic fluid was at 9 cm, but today it was at 3 cm. After a series of tests they confirmed that my membranes are ruptured (my water broke) and I am leaking amniotic fluid. 

Because of this, I have been admitted to the Methodist Women's Hospital in Omaha (where the specialist is at) and will remain here until the baby comes. There are three potentially concerning situations: Heavy blood loss or infection, which would result in immediate deliver, or preterm labor. If none of those three things happen, then at 34 weeks I will be considered far enough along that they will take the baby out, to avoid further complications. So, that means we will meet "Dooma Butch" by the end of July! That is 9 weeks away. 

It would be an understatement to say Matt and I are feeling a bit overwhelmed. Matt now has to work and take care of Carter independently in Lincoln, and then also still find time to come see me in Omaha. He is of course worried that I could go into labor at any moment and he would have to make the drive to Omaha at any time of day. For me, it is going to be difficult and lonely to be in Omaha without my family. But, we know we are in the best hands possible to help deliver and care for a premature baby, and that's what matters right now. 

I am learning to rest in the moment, in today. I can't plan tomorrow, or even next week. That is very difficult for me, but I have to believe that this is happening for a reason. The book of James is special to me because early on in the pregnancy a friend of mine encouraged me to read through the book of James, since it talks about going through a tough time. It has been a comfort and a good reminder to me many times.

"Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything." James 1:2-3

And that's what hard times are really about - it's about the journey, not the destination. This is a unique journey and one day we will tell this little boy all about it (or he can read my blog to hear it for himself). I think James will serve as a meaningful reminder to us of God's faithfulness to us through the journey and all that we learned along the way. That's why this little boy's middle name will be James. 

On another note - we had to do some additional genetic testing because the baby had some abnormal ultrasounds along the way. One thing we were testing for was cystic fibrosis. This was a little too overwhelming to share with all of you initially, but we are very thankful to report that the second round of tests came back negative, so we can take that one off the list of things to worry about!

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and prayers. We appreciate them during this time. Please keep checking back and we will keep the blog updated. Thanks.

2 comments:

  1. God has a plan, we are not in charge. I hope you can stay calm and courageous. After this is over and you get to meet Dooma Butch everything will be alright. Love you guys so much...Aunt Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you often over the last days since I heard your news from Ardis R. (her daughter in law is a good friend of mine). Sending love and hugs!

    ReplyDelete