Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Carter meets Spencer

I looked up the word "delighted" in the dictionary. It says "a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment, joy." I think that about sums up how Carter feels about his little brother (Phew).....

We decided it was time for Carter to meet Spencer. On Saturday we drove up to Omaha. There was lots of preparing.

"Baby Spencer is little."
"We have to be quiet when we see Spencer. Use our quiet voices (in a whisper)."
"You can tell baby Spencer your name, and that you are his big brother."
"You can only touch his hand or his foot."
"We have to wash our hands really good before we see Spencer."

When it was finally time, Carter was ready to go. Probably ready to meet this kid he has heard so much about, who occupies a lot of mom and dad's time.

He was very timid coming into the room. I think he was also distracted/confused by the nurse who was videotaping the whole thing. But as you can see, he climbed right up there and checked out his little brother. The nurses were great - they lowered the bed and popped the top so Carter could get a good look at him.


After the nurses left, Carter warmed right up to Spencer and started waving 'hi' to him and continually touching his hand and foot. He even got brave and touched his head and tickled his belly. What was so cute is that Spencer seemed to be responding to him - he would give him a smile or open his eyes when Carter was interacting with him.

It was one of those moments - that you will always remember. We were both overcome with emotion. Finally, our whole family together. In the NICU, but still, together. I can't wait until we are all home together, but for now, it was enough. It was very special.

I put the pictures in sort of a slow-motion order so you can see how full of excitement Carter was to meet his little brother.
 
 


 
 


 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Now, I have a new favorite post. This just melts my heart, it makes me smile. The whole Team Schafer reunited! Yay!

    ReplyDelete