Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Wednesday, June 25, 2014

6-25-14 Spencer update

Over the weekend, Spencer was dealing with gas issues....poor little guy. The gas in his tummy was pushing up on his diaphragm and making it harder for him to take a big breath. His little belly was inflated. They fiddled with some numbers on his CPAP and were mildly concerned about an infection in his bowels. It was the first time we had something potentially going wrong, and I was worried. I knew better - I kept telling  myself that these things were to be expected and that he will have his ups and downs. But it was still hard. Thankfully, Spencer did some pooping and seemed to work it out of his system.=)

Spence has had such a great week, they decided to take him off the nasal IMV today. (That was shooting puffs of air to the back of his throat each hour, just to remind him to breath.) So far, he is responding well with breathing completely on his own and needs very little oxygen.

On Monday I was able to give him a bath. It was a different experience. He was in a little tub with a sling and VERY warm water. They swaddled him with a blanket and I poured water over the swaddle to keep him warm. Then, I took out one body part at a time and washed him. He didn't like it very much when I was washing his head and arms, but once we got those swaddled up, he enjoyed the rest of his bath. I think he almost fell asleep! The tricky part is trying to follow all the directions and complete the bath in 7-10 minutes. (After that, he starts to get cold from the water.)


On Tuesday Spencer hit a milestone - he now weighs over 1000 grams (2 lb 5 oz)! He started at 820 grams (1 lb 13 oz). He is now taking 20 cc/3 hours for feedings. 

I was released to drive this week so I am enjoying my freedom of being able to come and go to see Spencer and get around as I need to. The c-section incision continues to heal, although internally I can tell my insides feel bruised and tender. Breastfeeding (pumping) continues to go ok. Thank you to those of you praying about my milk supply. It has increased slightly, so I am thankful. I hope it will continue to do so as Spencer grows and demands more.

I struggle with mom guilt tremendously. Wherever I am, I am always thinking about the son I am not with and what I am missing. This is my new reality for awhile, so please pray I will find a way to make my peace with this.

Matt is hanging in there - trying to find a new balance between working full time, taking care of all of us, and trying to find time to come to Omaha and see Spencer. Pray that he would sleep well at night to keep up on all of this!

Spencer keeps sneaking his hands above his head and pulling my hair during kangaroo time

Big yawn!

Eyes open

1 comment:

  1. I just think the kangaroo time is the cutest thing! I am so glad to hear Spencer is getting lots of mom's milk! Yay!

    ReplyDelete