We.made.it. What a great feeling. 24 weeks is not the destination, but it sure is a nice pit stop. When I started bleeding at 12 weeks, I couldn't fathom making it this far, but we have, and we are so thankful. We definitely feel a little lighter now that we have reached the point where the doctors have additional options to offer us, if needed.
We met with the specialist yesterday. It was a good appointment. Usually he spends quite a bit of time doing his own ultrasound and re-examining things. This appointment was different. We just talked, and talked. He seems optimistic about our outcome. He even joked that it would be funny it we go full-term (or past) and look back and laugh at all this stress/worry we have been through. Basically, the hemorrhage is gone but the location where it started is still causing bleeding. There is nothing that can be done about that, and I would guess that means the bleeding could continue throughout the entire pregnancy. But, he didn't seem overly concerned about that.
We just have to keep a close eye on things, and if I start to experience any labor symptoms, they will try to stop labor so that I can get the steroid injections right away to strengthen the baby. It continues to be "wait and see" but everyone seems to be breathing a little easier now that I am at 24 weeks. Our next appointment with the specialist is in two weeks.
Probably the best part of the appointment was when he looked at us and said "You guys have been really great to work with. How do you do it? How do you stay so calm about all of this?"
This brought tears to my eyes and I didn't really have the words to talk, but Matt pointed upward and the specialist said, "Ah, you believe in a higher power." Yes....you could say that =) We went on to talk about the amazing support system we have between church, friends, family and neighbors. We raved about each of you and how you have played an important role in helping this little guy make it this far. Thank you.
In other news....My mom has helped us start potty training with Carter. It is going remarkably well. We have success a couple times each day and he seems to be catching on. It's always fun to try something new with Carter and see how he responds. He is being quite a trooper through all of this. And he just says and does the darnedest things each day! The other day I asked him what he was doing and he told me he was trying to "spit like daddy." Oh brother...
Here is Carter showing off his training pants -
By the way, did I mention Matt is letting his beard grow until the baby comes? I don't blame him...it's one less thing for him to do each day, but seriously.....
I love that you guys are still experiencing joy and finding reasons to celebrate through all of this. I was cracking up at Matt's beard. Love it! And go Carter! Potty training is a huge accomplishment. Keep the good news coming!
ReplyDelete