You know how you think you know what God might do in a situation? Well, we didn't see this one coming. The doctor called me on Thursday. After giving me his usual updates, he said there was one more thing he would like to discuss with me. He said,
"I just wanted to let you know that Spencer is stable enough that if you would like to have him transferred to Lincoln, we would be more than happy to help you do that."
What?? We didn't even know that would be a possibility.
It probably seems like this would be a no-brainer decision, but it was actually really hard. When I called Matt to tell him about this possibility, I started crying and couldn't get the words out. I realize it was because we are so attached to Methodist Women's Hospital and all the wonderful staff there.
I have been going there for five months. They have invested so much in us. They helped us keep Spencer alive inside and outside the womb. We could never repay them.
So, there were two big things to consider -
1. How would the transfer affect Spencer? And would he receive the same level of care in Lincoln?
2. Could we do it.....Could Matt and I handle the change? (i.e.: meeting and developing trust with a whole new set of nurses and doctors for the next 8-10 weeks)
We took some time to think about it and ask some additional questions. On Friday, we took a tour of St. Elizabeth's in Lincoln. The NICU in Lincoln is the same "level" as Methodist, meaning they can provide the same level of care. And since it does not look like Spencer will need any surgeries it would make sense to move him. (If he was supposed to have surgery, Children's in Omaha is the only place that performs surgery)
The thing Matt and I had to get over was the fact that no matter how awesome the staff is at St. E's, no one was going to compare in our minds. We will always have a special place in our hearts for the staff at Methodist. Once we were able to process through that, we could better make our decision.
So, we gave the green light to move Spencer on Saturday.
The transport was done by ambulance by the St. Elizabeth staff. It was incredibly hard to watch our son leave with people we have never met to go on his first car ride without us. They put Spencer is a transportable incubator, with all the same hook-ups and support (oxygen, CPAP, heart rate, etc...) And then they were off.
Spencer did well during the move. They said he fussed a little at the beginning, but then settled in and slept the rest of the way. Once in Lincoln, they got him settled into his new room. Since arriving, Spencer has done great during his first 24 hours and seems very comfortable. Praise the Lord!
Now we are all in the same city! Wow - I hadn't thought that was an option. What an answer to prayer, especially as I prepare to go back to work in three weeks. An unexpected answer.
God continues to show us He has our best in mind and can provide in ways we don't expect.
Regarding visitation for all you Lincolnites dying to meet Spencer:
St. E's is a little more strict with visitation than Methodist so here is what would be helpful - If you would like to stop by, please call/text/email Matt or I to set up a time. We have to be present for you to stop by and there are times of the day that would be best for you to do so. We are happy to make time for each of you, but just want to be sensitive to what is best for Spencer.
Thank you! Spencer looks forward to meeting each of you!
So happy that you are closer to home! I am sure that it will be a transition but the St Es staff are amazing. The doctors and nps are wonderful. Hope all is going well feel free to reach out to the parents reaching out group with any questions.
ReplyDeleteYay! We drive by St. E's everyday and we always wave to Spencer :)
ReplyDelete