Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker  Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Sunday, September 14, 2014

100 days

 
 
 
100 days. Today marks 100 days that Spencer has been in the NICU. It brings mixed emotions for sure. I remember when one of Spencer's "neighbors" hit 100 days at Methodist in Omaha. They put up a sign and the nurses made a celebration out of it. I remember asking the nurse about it and she said, "Well, around here 100 days is a big deal." I remember thinking how cool it would be to hit 100 days - like a badge of honor. But I also remember hoping we wouldn't hit 100 days because that is a really long time to have your baby in the hospital!
 
So, Spencer hit 100 days. It's his badge of honor and I am so proud of him. Proud of us too. And thankful for each of you. We seriously couldn't do it without you. If you uttered a prayer, sent a card, "liked" Spencer's pictures on Facebook, brought us a meal, cleaned our house, mowed our lawn, did our laundry, watched Carter, cared for Spencer or sent a text - you have helped us reach this milestone.
 
So I decided we should celebrate, like I saw in Omaha that day. We brought a cake to the NICU today and are making a big deal out of it - because it is a big deal!
 
And yet, amidst the celebration, we also feel discouragement and sadness that Spencer isn't home yet. I drew encouragement today from these verses. Each of them came from a card one of you has sent me over the last 6 months!
 
Isaiah 40:29 "He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak."
 
Psalm 18:2 "The Lord is my Rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold."
 
Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to Me and I will answer you. I'll tell you marvelous and wondrous things that you could never figure out on your own."
 
Psalm 62:8 "Trust in Him at all times, O people; pour out your hears to Him, for God is our refuge."
 
Romans 8:28 "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose."
 
2 Thessalonians 3:5 "May the Lord direct your hearts into God's love and Christ's perseverance."
 
And of course -
 
James 1:2-3 "Consider it pure joy, my brothers, when you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything."
 
Please pray for perseverance as we hang in there these final weeks. We don't have an end date because Spencer is still working on his eating. But, they have to kick him out eventually, right?
 
I think everybody enjoys seeing the progress pictures so here is a picture of Spencer when he was 28 or 29 weeks gestation with his pacifier.
 
 
And here he is this week (40 weeks gestation) next to the pacifier. My his head has grown! Along with the rest of him!
 
 
Another success to mention - Spencer passed his car seat test! This means he was able to sit in his car seat (elevated position) for 90 minutes without an alarm. This is exciting because it means we are one step closer to going home. It also means Spencer can now sit in a swing or bouncy seat in the NICU instead of his bed all of the time. And so far, he really likes the swing. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment